From The Lord of the Rings references to a dog and lots of lava – the volcano in Geldingadalur valley on the Reykjanes peninsula of Iceland has it all.
Since the start of the eruption 10 days ago, social media has been flooded with incredible shots of this newly formed volcano.
While Iceland is quite used to volcanic eruptions, this one is unique in the sense that it’s relatively small, safe and is situated right in the middle of a valley just 30 minutes away by car from the capital. While you do also have to hike for about two hours to reach the site from the road, that hasn’t stopped locals flocking to the area to capture some incredible photos.
Here are 10 of our favorite ones so far.
1) The volcano as seen from the air
2) Lava starting to fill the valley floor
3) Dressed for the occasion
4) Veins of new earth forming
5) The heart of the volcano ❤️
6) Woofcano (swipe for bonus pics)
7) The glow of the eruption seen from The Blue Lagoon